FAQ- VISA DEBIT
• What do I do if my MPECU debit card or VISA credit card is lost or stolen?
If your plastic cards are lost or stolencontact the following numbers:<
218-336-1800 (MPECU) 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Visa Credit Card:
U.S. Call 1-800-991-4964 after hours & weekends
Overseas Collect608-836-2613 CST 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
After Hours Overseas Collect 727-570-4881
A Visa representative will start the process to close the lost/stolen card and set up a new account or reissue a card that should reach you in approximately10 days. You may also be asked to contact MPECU.
• My debit card won’t work, what is the problem?
There are a several reasons why your card might not work:
1. The card must be activated prior to use. If this is a new card, call the activation numbe rprovided onthe sticker on the front of your card.
2. The strip on the back may have been demagnetized and a new card needs to be ordered. Please contat us at 218-336-1800 or Toll Free 1-866-724-3993.
3. Computer line smay be down and cannot complete the approval process.
4. If an invalid PIN was used too many times, the system will suspend the card to protect you from potential fraud. Call the credit union to have your card reactivated.
5. You may have already exceeded the daily dollar limit onyour debit card forthe day. Contact the credit union to have your limit reset.
6. If you are using the card outside of your geographic area, transactions may be blocked to prevent potential fraud. Our card processor will attempt to call you to verify these transactions. Notify the credit union that you are traveling out of area so your card will not be blocked.
7. You must have enough funds available for your purchase.
8. If you are more than 30 days delinquent on a loan, your card will be suspended until payment arrangements are made. This is also the case if you are a co-signer on a loan that is more than 30 days delinquent.
9. Your card may be expired. You should receive a new card 1-3 weeks before your card expires. If you did not receive a replacement card, contact the credit union.
• How do I get a PIN for my debit card?
When your debit card is ordered, a four digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) will be assigned and sent to you via the US Postal Service. The PIN will come in the mail separate from your debit card. When you activate your debit card, you will be given the option to change the PIN to a four digit number of yourchoice. You can also change your PIN at any of the MSR windows.
• What daily dollar limits are set on the debit cards?
The daily dollar limit for point-of-sale purchases is $1000.00. The daily dollar limit on ATM withdrawals is $300.00. Both daily dollar limits reset at 12 midnight.
If you have had a Share Draft accountin good standing for aperiod of more than six months, you can request to have your limits raised for a 24 hour period. Please contact the credit union.
Note: some ATMs may have limits set for cash withdrawals. These limits are set by the ATM owners, not by MPECU.
• In addition to a debit card, do I also need a separate card to access my funds at an ATM?
No, Your debit card can be used for both purchases and ATM withdrawals.
Reminder: Your debit card cannot be used to pull funds from your share accounts (savings), only from your share draft account.
• What happens if an unauthorized debit card transaction clears through my share draft account?
Provided you give us notification of th eunauthorized charge within 60 days of receiving your statement, we can assistyou in resolving the unauthorized charge.
If there is a phone number available for the merchant , we ask that you contact them first to try and resolve the disputed charge. If you cannot contact the merchant, then you will need to report all unauthorized transactions to your local police department as fraudulent. Ask the police department to give you a copy of the report and bring it to MPECU.
We will then fill out a Cardholder Disput eAffidavit which you must sign and date.
We will close your debit card to prevent any further unauthorized charges and order you a new one.
We will then file a chargeback request with Visa in an attempt to recoup the charges.
• What is the difference between a debit card and a credit card?
The difference between a debit card and a credit card is that the debit card deducts the balance from a bank account, such as a checking account, where as the credit card allows you to spend money on credit from the bank that issued the card. In other words, a debit card uses money you have and a credit card uses money you don't have.
• Is there a limit to how many times I can use my debit card in a daily basis?
There is no limit on the numberof times you can use your debit card each day, however there is a daily dollar limit on point-of-sale purchasesand ATM withdrawals.
• I need my new debit card fast. Can I rush order it?
Yes. In special circumstances, we do offer a rush ship service for the debit card. Thereis a fee for this service and it could take up to five days to receive your new card.
• Can I put a stop payment on a transaction authorized through my debit card?
No. We are not able to put a stop payment or reject any transaction authorized throughyour debit card.
If you would like a refund for a transaction, contact the merchant who ran the transaction.
If you see an unauthorized transaction on your account, click on the related item for more information.
Please contact MPECU with further questions.
• What fees do I have to pay to use an MPECU debit card?
We will issue your debit card free of charge and we do not impose monthly or annual fees. MPECU does not charge a fee for ATM transactions or purchases made withyour card.
You may be charged a fee at an ATM by the ATM owner.
If you lose your card and need a replacement, we will charge a service fee, based onyour MOR level.
We also charge a fee to reset your PIN for you. (You can reset your own PIN by phone free of charge).
• What is a debit card?
A debit card (also known as a bank card, acheck card, orMPECU's Instant Cash & Check card) is a plastic card which provides an alternative payment method to cashor checks when making Point of Sale (POS) purchases. A debitcard withdraws fundsdirectly from yourshare draft/checkingaccount. You can use a debit card to withdraw cash at an ATM using your PIN number.
Our debit cards cannot be linked to your share/savings account. The debit card will only draw funds from savings to cover an overdraft.
• Do I need a PIN for my debit card?
Yes. You will need your PIN to complete ATM transactions. Also, if you select "Debit" as your payment method for a Point of Sale (POS) purchase, you will be required to enter your PIN to complete the transaction.
When you order a debit card for the first time, a PIN is automatically generated and mailed to you. It is mailed separately from the debit card, and could arrive earlier or later than the debit card.
• Can my child have a debit card?
Yes, minors 16 & older are allowed to have debit cards through MPECU as long as a qualifying parent or guardian is a joint owner on the share draft account.
All owners listed assume responsibility for the account.
• I am trying to withdraw money from my savings account at an ATM and it keeps getting declined. Why won’t this work?
Our debit cards are linked to your share draft account only. This means that youcannot withdraw money from yoursavings account at an ATM.
If you need to withdraw money from your savings account, you could transfer the funds to your share draft account through our online home banking, or by calling the Powerline at 1-800-870-4324 and making the transfer, and then you could withdraw the money from your share draft at an ATM.
• Can I use my debit card overseas?
Yes, your debit card can be used outside the U.S. However, your card may not work in certain geographical areas due to fraud blocking rules.
Please notify the credit union in advance of your trip that you will be using your card overseas. If we do not know you are traveling, your transactions may be blocked as possible fraudulent activity.
Also, be aware that many ATMs and self-service kiosks in Europe require a Visa card with an embedded chip. Your MPECU Visa card will not work in these machines. You can use your card at a store, bank or hotel check-out that is staffed by a clerk.
Fees: Visa imposes a fee of 1% on all transactions completed outside the U.S.
• I have heard the term “real time” when discussing my debit card. What is real time?
There are online debit cards and offline debit cards. "Real time" debit cards are online; that is, the transactions post to the member's account immediately. If there are not enough funds in the account at that time, the transaction will be rejected. MPECU debit cards are "real time," as of June 22, 2011.
• Can I change my debit card PIN over the phone or online?
You can change your debit card PIN over the phone by calling our automated system at 1-866-985-2273. You will need to know your current PIN in order to change it in the automated system.
You may change your PIN by calling MPECU at 218-336-1800 or 218-336-1833 (Toll free 1-866-724-3993). A fee may apply.
You cannot change your debit card PIN online.
• If my debit card is lost or stolen, am I liable for any charges that were made fraudulently?
If you suspect your debit card is lost, stolen, or is being used fraudulently, please NOTIFY MPECU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! You can be held liable for the unauthorized charges if you do not report them in a timely fashion.
If there are disputed charges that cannot be resolved with the merchant, you can take steps to file a chargeback request with Visa. Your liability would then depend upon the results of Visa's investigation.
For any debit card issues, please call (218) 336-1800 or toll-free at (866) 724-3993 during regular business hours. For after hours reporting call (800) 535-8440.
• How long does it take to get my debit card?
You should receive your debit card via the US Postal Service within 7-10 business days. Your PIN will arrive separately a day or two before.
• What is a chargeback?
A chargeback is the return of a debit card transaction that has cleared your share draft account. A chargeback is initiated by your financial institution typically due to fraudulent, duplicate, or unauthorized transactions.
• Do I select debit or credit when using my debit card for a purchase?
When using your debit card for a purchase you should have the option to select either debit or credit.
The Credit option requires a signature authorization, while the Debit option requires a PIN authorization.
If you would like to receive cash back from your transaction, you will have to select Debit and enter your PIN. However, by selecting credit, you will have better chargeback rights on your purchase.
• How old do I have to be to get a checking account with a debit card?
At MPECU we do not have an age restriction on opening a share draft/checking accountwith a debit card. If you are under age 18, you must have a qualifying parent/guardian as a joint owner onthe share draft account. All owners listed assume responsibilityfor the account.
• Which ATMs can I use without paying a surcharge?
MPECU ATMs are surcharge free. MPECU belongsto the InstantCash Network.
• My debit card expires this month and I just received the new one in the mail. Do I have to activate this card and get a new PIN? How do I go about doing this?
Yes, you need to activate the reissued card youhave received by mail. To do so, dial the 1-800 number listed on thesticker onthe front of your debit card.<
The PIN youhad for the previous card carries over to your new debit card. However, you can change the PIN when you call to activate the reissued card.
If you have set up automatic payments through your debit card, you will need to give the merchants your new card information for transactions to continue.
• Do I need to notify the Credit Union if I plan to use my Credit/Debit card when I am traveling out of the area?
Yes, it is helpful to have our members contact us when they are traveling with their credit/debit cards. When our members use the cards from outside their normal home range, it raises flags with VISA and our member will appear on a report. Your card could possibly be blocked if we are not able to contact you
30 W. Superior St.
Toll Free: 1-866-724-3993